On April 6, 1944, a mission was formed by the late William Cobbs. A place to worship was located at 11801 Alabama Street, Los Angeles, and a two-week meeting of nightly preaching added three members to this small group. On June 22, Reverends William Cobbs and Walter Strauther organized the mission group into a church body.
Rev. Cobbs was elected pastor by acclamation and Rev. J. L. Brown, Assistant Pastor. The name Holy Chapel Missionary Baptist Church was selected in memory of the church where Pastor Cobbs worshipped during his childhood. Services were held on Sundays at 3:30 p.m. and Wednesday nights, as the church was renting space from another congregation.
Under the leadership of Pastor Cobbs, the rented property was purchased by HCMBC in 1947. As a result of effective discipleship, as well as spiritual hunger in the surrounding areas, the church's membership and accommodation needs increased until they outgrew the Alabama Street location.
In 1955, while still under the pastorate of William Cobbs, the church purchased five lots at 11676 S. Central Avenue, Los Angeles, and later purchased four additional lots. Groundbreaking services were held on February 10, 1957, and on September 22, members marched from Alabama Street after Sunday school into the new building.
In 1966 it became necessary for HCMBC to look for another location as the path of the freeway was intended to go through the church's property. In 1970, a property was located, and on March 2, 1972, the new church's foundation was poured at its current location. Sadly, during that same month, the founder of HCMBC, Rev. William Cobbs was called to rest.
On April 14, Rev. George Cobbs, Sr. was unanimously elected to the pastorate. Under his leadership, the building was completed in 1973, and the cornerstone laid on July 27, 1975. Two worship services (7:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.) were instituted in 1976.
On August 7, 1986, Rev. George L. Thomas accepted the call to the pastorate. Pastor Thomas placed a strong emphasis on Christian education and immediately and remarkably revitalized the church's Bible Study program. Under his leadership, many church policies and procedures have been established. A regular posting of available jobs has been made available. A Church Leadership Council, a Board of Christian Education, and a full-time business office have been established. The Youth Department reorganized, and a new members' orientation has been established. An evening broadcast is aired weekly.
On February 2, 1991, the Rosecrans edifice as was destroyed by fire due to spontaneous ignition. With unfettered spirits and a desire to stay together, the congregation's worship service continued by utilizing the facilities of Mt. Hebron Baptist Church and the New Mt. Calvary Baptist Church. The church then began leasing Compton Community Seventh Day Adventist Church to accommodate the church's program until October 31, 1993, when the congregation celebrated with a ribbon cutting ceremony and moved into the reconstructed edifice.
In June 1994, HCMBC was blessed to celebrate its 50th Jubilee Anniversary.